Monday, June 27, 2022

A Web Log

Content: The section that used to be for 7 marks out of 10 on high school Letter-Writing language exercises. The remaining 3 marks were for format, salutations and correctness. I usually did well on those composition exercises because I was concise and discerningly to-the-point.

That was 2002. It’s 2022 now. Content means something else now. First of all, it’s pronounced kaun-tent. Secondly, it’s very wise in its new meaning. Let me tell you how. I recently read a book by the Dalai Lama where he said that the biggest realisation of monkhood is that there is nothing in everything. Not that nothing exists, but that there is nothing in everything. This was eye-opening and I realised that it is so very true about kaun-tent. At the core of it, there is nothing in all of the Content online: vlogs, reels, movies, blogs, videos, or any online media.

Yet it exists.

Yep, I’ve always been this nihilistic about my blog. I acknowledged in the last decade itself that my writings here were to amount to nothing special, just another voice among the millions. I stopped blogging for this very reason. Why add another voice to the clamour?

Recently I realised that it was a mistake. I had lost a golden opportunity to document so many things over the last decade. I am the caretaker of a small but important library-archive at work and have witnessed first-hand the utility of record-keeping. Not only is it very pleasant and sometimes amusing to revisit, but it also helps to recall forgotten things. The mind can only hold so much at a time. You need to maintain a log somewhere, somehow. And (surprise, surprise!) that’s what blogs are: web-logs.

So here it is: 

A web log of me.

My blog.

No comments: